25 Actionable Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint in 2016
- Properly maintain your vehicles to obtain optimal mileage and emit fewer pollutants.
- Walk more! Vehicle traffic is a major contributor to smog.
- Only run a full load of laundry and use a cooler cycle whenever possible. Each wash uses up to 40 gallons of water.
- Air dry your laundry, and doing so helps to keep their shape as well.
- Before you throw anything away, ask yourself – can I recycle, reuse, or donate this? For example: Cut up old clothing to use for cleaning instead of paper towels, use cloth napkins, and old newspapers are great for cleaning windows.
- Invest in a filter system instead of buying bottled water.
- Repair toilets to conserve water. You can test if your toilet is leaking by putting food coloring in the tank. If it shows up in the bowl without flushing, then there’s a leak.
- Repair leaky faucets and installing a faucet aerator can reduce up to 6% of your water usage.
- Take shorter showers and use a low flow showerhead.
- Use rechargeable batteries, as battery acid and other metals harm the ecosystem when they end up in landfills.
- Use natural DIY household cleaners because traditional household chemicals can cause health issues are toxic to produce.
- Buy organic produce to increase demand for lower pesticide use.
- Print double-sided and use recycled paper.
- Invest in a foldable canvas bag and a glass water bottle for when you’re on the go.
- Avoid products with excess packaging, and bring your own tumbler to coffee shops.
- Use energy-efficient florescent light bulbs, which helps you save on electricity bills and last longer.
- For your heating and cooling systems, changing the air filters regularly and using a programmable thermostat can also help you save on energy costs and reduce emissions.
- Always unplug your electronic devices when they’re not in use, and turn off your computer every night instead setting it to sleep mode.
- Take measures to properly insulate your home, which saves on energy costs all year long.
- Go vegetarian once a week. Did you know it requires 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef?
- Cut down on paper bills by opting for electronic correspondence.
- Choosing reusable diapers can save you from buying and disposing of 5,000 to 8,000 diapers by the time a child is toilet trained.
- Try using non-electronic exercise machines when you’re at the gym. Rather, try incorporating calisthenics, push-ups, and other bodyweight & cardio exercises into your routine.
- Be a mindful consumer by asking yourself how your decisions are impacting the environment. Do not buy what you don’t need, and buy for durability. Also – don’t forget the fun process of upcycling!
- For Garagers who don’t know already, recycling for DVR Garage can be found near the pantry on the 9F and near the right staircase on the 8F. Recycling for QRC Garage can be found in the 19F stairway exit.
Creative, trendy and populated with cool restaurants and cafes with authentic food, Sai Ying Pun hosts the best coworking spaces in Hong Kong for freelancers.
Entrepreneurs are known for busy jumping between different tasks. How can you prevent burning out from this crazy working environment while enhancing your working efficiency?